Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tuesday, April 1

Happy April Fools Day! It started out as one for my sister who forgot to change the time over on her alarm. So when we showed up at 8:00 she had just gotten up. Aghhhhhh! So Mom and I are passing the time on our iPads while Kim and Caroline scurry about getting ready to go.

Soooo I thought I'd make a list of the birds I've seen so far....not positive id's but close. There were two osprey that wheeled overhead our condo. They were calling to each other and came very close to our lanai. I didn't get any pictures because it happened so fast but I would think it was a territory dispute or maybe courting behavior.

On the beach were the cute little sanderlings and the more solitary dowitchers. One snowy egret that looked like he was getting a little flustered. There were also a few Laughing Gulls in their breeding plumage.

Now the shells I've found so far: Wentletrap, White Baby's Ear, baby Shark's Eye, baby Sundial, West Indian worm shells, Fly-specked cerith, Florida cerith, Florida Fighting Conch (live), Lightning Whelk (live), spotted slippershell, my first spiny slippershell, common American auger, my first Bruised Nassa, Banded Tulip (live), Lettered Olive, Striate Bubble Shell, Ark shell, Turkey Wing, Spectral Bittersweet Clam, Penshells, Atlantic Rough Scallops, Atlantic Kittenpaw, Jingle Shell, Tiger Lucine, Florida Spiny Jewelbox, Broad-ribbed Cardita, Atlantic Giant Cockle, Sunrise Tellin, Variable Coquina clams, Sunray Venus clam, Angelwing, dwarf olive. The count is 32 so far. Can you tell I have the guide in front of me? I must say, I even impressed myself as to the number of different kinds I have in one day on the beach. I wrote all these down so you would know what fun names many of these shells have. There are still a few I don't have yet so will be on the look out the rest of the week..

Ok. We got to Naples in time for Kim's Global Ministries meeting with a Lutheran pastor in town. It went really well while we waited in the car. Then...off for a late breakfast. We picked a place called "Jane's" that served British style breakfast. I just know it was fantastic!

Here we are just when the food got there. My sister Kim, her daughter Caroline, my mom and me!

I had an omelet with lobster meat, leeks, Gouda cheese, and cherry tomatos. English Breakfast tea of course.

The plants and flowers were wonderful. It reminded me of being in Seguin at my grandparents house. My grandmother was president of the Nogales Garden Club. This meant she knew what she was doing and had tons of happy plants outside her house. Mom is standing by a container of one of the plants my grandmother always had. I cannot remember the name but they are a purplish color you don't forget when you are little.

Eat your heart out Minnesotans (I know, that's mean considering the weather you're having this week).

Missing the puppies so here's a dog that would stand still for me so I could get dog time...

 

Kim was able to stop at a Naples beach for just a quick minute. Still lots of people but the water was a beautiful color...this doesn't really show it that well.

Back at the condo, I got things ready for our shelling cruise tomorrow. Have to leave by 7:00 am so better have it all ready to go tonight. Kim and I walked along the beach afterwards. It was fairly warm but walking in the water keeps a person cool. Lots and lots of people having fun in the sun. They all started going in about the time we finally got back. I wasn't thinking I would be walking down the beach so I didn't bring a camera. Isn't it always the way where you need your camera only when you don't have one? At the southern tip of the island there were birds I had never seen before. Beautiful shore birds. When I got back to the condo I looked them up. American Oystercatchers! The bill on them is out of this world. I took a picture of the picture from The Peterson bird guide. Hey, it's better than nothing!

Out to eat again, this time at 'Coconut Jacks'. Busy busy busy place. We waited outside for about 20 minutes and then joined the rest of the population for more good eating. Fish and chips made with fresh caught Grouper! And home made Key Lime pie. Yum!

 

My sunset was hidden tonight by land and buildings. But I promised so here is the view from our table...

I thought though everyone might like to see a better sunrise tonight...it's called the Bonita Sunrise!

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. Glad you are having a shelling success. Hardly wait to see what you find tomorrow. Suggest you take your point and shoot camera with you on those beach walks.

    ReplyDelete