Last day in Florida! Everyone slept in trying to catch up on their sleep. Kim had a bunch of contacts to make and work to do involving using the internet, so after we checked out, we stayed in the front lounge for a while. Then we had to come up with a plan to spend a few hours before our flight. Kim decided a trip to Sanibel would be perfect. Of course I agreed!
Even the drive across the bridge makes you feel like you are entering another land. Not that the traffic would make you feel you were leaving the city behind though. Still extremely congested on Sanibel.
There were so many people fishing along the bridge and the pelicans and osprey fly almost right beside the cars. It costs $6 to go across the causeway to Sanibel but it is worth it!
Since we weren't able to go to Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge at last week because the traffic was so bad, Kim decided to make time today for the wildlife drive. I am so glad she decided to! I got out the binoculars and my big Nikon camera, ready for pictures.
The first place we pulled over at had a number of birds eating on a sandbar. There were White Pelicans, the sandpipers, and a darker heron. I believe him to be a Reddish Egret, which are uncommon! I cannot give you a better close up picture although I looked at him with my binoculars. He does not have the white belly and has a red neck and head. He also has a distinct two toned bill.
Further on down the road, I had Kim pull over as I saw another blue egret close to the road. After I got out to take his picture, I noticed another one very close to me. They both allowed me to take their pictures and these two were definitely the Tri-Colored Egret, also uncommon.
This was a good place to stop because a few feet up were a couple of Egrets. The white one in back with the black legs and yellow feet is definitely a Snowy Egret. The mottled one in front I suspect is an immature Little Blue Heron. The legs are olive colored and the bill is slightly thicker and gray. The Little Blue Heron is white with gray wing tips when immature. Adult coloring is with gray blue on neck and around head. Birds that are going from immature to adult appear mottled. Does anyone out there know for sure what this bird is?
Another few feet were a couple of Double Crested Cormorants. I have never seen them sitting in the water before. You can tell what they are by the orange patch by their beak and the hook on the tip of the beak. The Tri-Colored Heron is just flying in to join these guys.
Another bird right next to the road, these are so common right now it's unbelievable. I think they are still spectacular! It's the Osprey.
For those of you tired of birds, here's a fish...
Kim and I took a short, quick walk at the Calusa Shell Mounds. It's a boardwalk through some drier areas. We didn't stop to read the informational boards as we were running late. But I did stop and take a picture of these flowers. Don't know what they are though.
On our way out, I made Kim pull over so I could take a picture of this Gopher Tortoise. He was very involved with eating and didn't mind me one bit. They have signs everywhere on the island to watch out for these. Many get hit by cars every year.
Ok, time to eat...our last meal in Florida this trip. We all wanted seafood so I suggested Doc Ford's Rum Bar and Grill. The restaurant is named after a character in a series of mystery books by the author Randy Wayne White. He is the owner and so his books are sold in his restaurants. He also is a great cook and has a few cookbooks out as well! All I know is his clam chowder is delicious and his lime panko fish sandwich very good. But the Key Lime Pie....Kim and Mom think it's the best so far in our 'study'. I like them all!
One last view of the ocean with the parasailers having fun on this windy day. It was warm today, 91 degrees, so I imagine the water felt pretty good. We ran out of time and headed to the airport. The plane is full - full of Minnesota people going back to school and work. I'm afraid no ocean sunsets tonight. :-(













No comments:
Post a Comment